Zeitoun has progressed. The storm is now almost completely gone, and
it seems that from here on in there will be smooth sailing. I don’t mean to be insensitive, I know that
Zeitoun sacrificed a lot to help his adopted city, but I feel that the story
will only get less interesting as the book goes on.
At
times, Eggers (obviously through no fault of his own) resorts back to events he
has already mentioned. In an attempt to
further solidify the ethos and logos behind Zeitoun and his decision making, he
tends to become repetitive. “Just as she
had the day before…” (182) seems to be an ongoing phrase, used to describe a
series of similar events that vary somewhat in terms of the immediate outcome, but
end up just fine at the end. I’m trying
to contain my growing cynicism right now, and give Eggers the benefit of the
doubt. Having read his works before, and
having read about the passion for the unknown that drives Zeitoun, I have faith
that the story will pick up again. As I’m
writing this it is occurring to me that Eggers is simply trying to be faithful
to the story. After all, for the educated reader, the more factual Eggers is,
the better.

No comments:
Post a Comment